Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Access Denied Error when attaching to process

I've had this problem the that I've been trying to solve over the last few days and its stopped me from debugging into services (remoting and WCF) in other processes. Every time I went into (in VS2K8)  Tools|Attach to Process, and I selected a one of our processes, I got an Access Denied error. There was nothing in the event log, so I really didn't know what to try - except perhaps to reinstall VS, which hasn't worked.

The solution is actually very mundane and is related to the fact the I was attempting, not to do managed code debugging, but something called 'workflow debugging'. I'm not sure what this is but VS tells me it incompatible with managed debugging. I suspect that its TFS related and I was basically attempting to attach the wrong kind of debugger, and since I'm no longer a TFS admin, I suspect this is why I'm getting access denied messages.

To fix this all I had to do was to specify the correct debugger in the attach dialog, by clicking on the Select button and and changing the debugger type.

Before:

attach

After:

debugger

debugger

2 comments:

Joe said...

Hello Preet,

This post was the solution to the Access Denied error we encountered while updating our ILM 2 custom workflow activity:

http://www.codeplex.com/ILM2WFActivity

We'd like to include a link to your post in our updated walkthrough and list you as a contributor. Please let me know if this is okay by you.

Thanks,
Joe

preet sangha said...

Absolutely. Please feel free to to so.