Monday, 13 April 2009

Scratch That

After realising that my son is producing his own videos using ms movie maker, hypercam and the awesome pivot stick figure animator and seeing the quality of this work I decided to introduce him to the really cool Scratch tool from MIT.

This is his first attempt at event driven programming.







This is his second


and its a great but simple game. The diver swims from left to right and back again. The left right cursor keys control the cannon (the pointy wizard's hat) and the space bar fires a bullet at the diver. Each time you hit the diver you get one point.



My son is only 10 and the game's official tester only just turned 7 this week. But they've managed to build and have a global release of their first game in the space of one sunday afternoon - amazing what two easter eggs can achieve in terms of productivity. I wonder if Joel Spolsky is listening....

6 comments:

FogBugz said...

OK, I'm bringing in Easter eggs for everyone tomorrow!

Dan Ostlund
Fog Creek Software

preet sangha said...

thanks reading this Don. you must let me know if the eggs helped :-)

BullzY said...

Kids oozing with creativity are common, but parents who encourage them along such lines are very rare.

A very nice inspiring read!

preet sangha said...

I realised very late that you only have one shot at life. Follow your dreams or live to regret it....thank you for your positive comments.

Agnel CJ Kurian said...

Where do I download this Kill-the-Unsuspecting-Diver?

preet sangha said...

you have to play on site I think. http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/ilikers/486361